For enabling women empowerment, a good health of this integrated part of the population is as essential as any other empowerment schemes.
A good health is the best weapon to conquer all the odds of life. To ensure this, Government of India has launched a scheme named “Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan” (PMSMA) on June 9th, 2016 which will address maternity complexities in pregnant women.
The objective of this scheme is basically providing a better healthcare facilities to women, especially underprivileged women. This scheme focuses on eradicating complexities and mortal rate during pregnancy.
This project is also one of the pioneering projects by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Prime Minister had been equally concerned about real women empowerment instead of keeping it viable in speeches only.
— ALL INDIA RADIO (@AkashvaniAIR) July 31, 2016
This schemes will address all the health issues in the maternity state of women emphasizing on the rural area.
This scheme works on the ground level where every pregnant woman will get a benefit of free health check up’s and required treatment on 9th of every month.
Due to unavailability of proper health care and treatment, generally, pregnant women leads to complexities like high blood pressure, low hemoglobin, high sugar and various hormonal changes. Sometimes these lead to a lethal outcome.
PM takes an initiative for women empowerment via ensuring women health so as to minimize these consequences.
What is Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA)?
Providing free health check up’s and required treatments to pregnant women, every Government hospitals, medical centers and private clinics will cater the free services to them on 9th of every month. This will make a safe maternity and will lower the mortal rate of mothers and newborn baby.
Who are eligible for the scheme?
- The scheme is for the pregnant women only.
- The scheme will be applicable to three to nine months pregnant women.
- The scheme will mainly focus on the women from semi-urban and rural areas.
Objectives of Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA):–
- Providing better health to pregnant women.
- Minimizing the mortality rate.
- Awareness about health risks and issues to “would be” mothers and to treat them before the damages.
- Healthy delivery and keep checks on newborn’s better health.
- Giving knowledge to women about care and upbringing of the child.
Key Features of PMSMA:-
- Ninth of every month has been marked for this scheme.
- PMSMA would carry out all the health check up’s and test, like blood sugar, hemoglobin, blood pressure, blood tests etc. free of costs at all the government hospitals,medical centers, and private clinics.
- Marking would be done on the basis of patient’s health problem.
- Different colored stickers will be used for the differentiation on the health card of pregnant women.
- Red Sticker represents serious patients
- Blue colored stickers represent high blood pressure patients.
- Yellow color for other diseases.
Surakshit Janani, Swatch Shishu is a tagline for Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan. The successful implementation of the scheme will benefit poor pregnant women from semi-urban and rural areas.
This can be proved as one feather of women empowerment.
Contributor: Sudha Ram Joshi