Narendra Modi seems a person who is inspired by many great personalities of Indian History. His ideologies, ideas, thought process, leadership traits show an immense impact on him by few people whom he admire and follow a lot.
One of the greatest personalities we are talking about is Swami Vivekanand. Namo’s every speech depicts that how much he is enthused by one of the most influential people of modern India and Hinduism. Vivekananda, after he became a “sannyasin of high intellect, action, and devotion” in 1886, had a deep desire to spread the message of “divine unity of existence and unity in diversity’ throughout the country. We all have been taught about Swami Vivekanand from our childhood and his illustrious and eminent contribution to our glorious Indian History. In this article, we will come across about the similarities between these two people not because they are same but how Narendra Modi always try to inculcate Swami Ji’s virtues and socio-religious contemplation about Hinduism and Humanity.
Narendra Modi does not hide his inclination towards Hinduism ever in fact many a times he has been blamed for being a communal as he was protecting and representing the Hindu community. No matter what media has to say about his fondness of Hinduism and Hindu culture, he kept addressing it into his every speech. Being an envoy of any community to glorify and encourage it if makes you communal then the definition is totally distorted I guess. Narendra Modi always put Swami Vivekananda as his Ideal and in his every interview we can see his picture or statue behind him. Swami ji said in his speech about Hinduism “The Hindu religion does not consist in struggles and attempts to believe a certain doctrine or dogma, but in the realizing not in the believing, but in the being and becoming. The whole struggle in their system is a constant struggle to become perfect.This becoming perfect. Constitutes the religion of the Hindus.”
In 2013 on his 150th Birth Anniversary, Modi said, “My ideal, and inspiration is Swami Vivekanand”. Swami Vivekanand was one of the messengers of Youthism. He, as a youth always stressed on the power of youth and that’s Narendra Modi is carrying forward. Modi knows the strength of youth which reflects in his every speech and vision. Swami ji’s Birthday 12th January is celebrated as National Youth Day from 1984 because the philosophy of Swamiji and the ideals for which he lived and worked were a great source of inspiration for the Indian Youth. The World Brotherhood Day is celebrated on 11th September, on the day when Vivekanand Ji delivered his first speech at the Parliament of the World’s Religion Chicago in 1893 and addressed the American people and his audiences as “Brother and Sister of America”. The same style we can see in Modi. His every speech starts with brother and sister.
How much he respects him, it shows by his one of the program “Vivekanand Yuva Vikas Yatra”, a campaign launched by him as a Chief Minister of Gujarat on 150th anniversary of his historic speech at Chicago’s Parliament of World’s Religion.
Few quotes of Swamiji’s inspired Narendra Modi to work for the country and its citizens.
- You must have an iron will, if you would cross the ocean. You must be strong enough to pierce mountains.
- He who always thinks himself as weak will never become strong, but he who knows himself to be a lion, rushes out from the world’s meshes, as a lion from its cage.
- There is hope for all. None can die; none can be degraded forever. Life is but a playground, however, gross the play may be. However we may receive blows, and however knocked about we may be, the Atman is there and is never injured. We are that Infinite.
- A brave, frank, clean-hearted, courageous and aspiring youth is the only foundation on which the future nation can be built.
- Be not afraid of anything. You will do marvelous work. The moment you fear, you are nobody. It is fear that is the great cause of misery in the world. It is fear that is the cause of all our woes and it is fearlessness that brings heaven even in a moment.
- Each one of you has a glorious future if you dare believe me. Have a tremendous faith in yourselves, like the faith I had when I was I was young… Have that faith, each one of you, in yourself – that eternal power is lodged in every soul – and you will revive the whole of India.
- Let people say whatever they like, quick to your own conviction, and rest assured, the world will be at your feet. They say, ‘Have faith in this fellow or that fellow’, but I say, ‘Have faith in yourself first’, that’s the way.
- If you have not even a little imagination, you are simply a brute. So you must not lower your ideal, neither are you to lose sight of practicality. We must avoid the two extremes…. You must try to combine in your life immense idealism with immense practicality.
- Go and preach to all, ‘Arise, awake, sleep no more: within each of you there is the power to remove all wants and all miseries. Believe this, and that power will be manifested.
Such quotes left a great impression on Narendra Modi’s personality and who he is today. When we read someone who was so giant as an inspiration, we cannot ever come out from the impact of the greatness marked on our soul.
One, who dares to change the world, can never afraid of what people say about him and how much others want to curb him and Narendra Modi is living example of this phenomenon.
The entire world is so known about the Swami Ji’s impact on Narendra Modi as US President Barack Obama gifted Prime Minister Narendra Modi a rare book on the Parliament of World’s Religions of 1893. The book contains a paper of Swami Vivekananda. This gift reminds of a digital quest back in 2011 on tracing Swami Vivekananda’s footsteps in the United States.
Narendra name is one more common thing between these two. His ideology and virtues were embraced by Narendra Modi to show India a path of success and vividness by empowering youth morally, economically and socially.