On 14th April 2016, Indian Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi visited Mhow (Dr Ambedkar Nagar), Madhya Pradesh. He launched Gram Uday Se Bharat Uday Abhiyan on the auspicious day i.e. 125th Birth Anniversary of Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar. This campaign will be held for 11 days, from 14th April to 24th April 2016. During this event, PM Modi highlighted the vision of Dr. Ambedkar for Maritime, Navigation and Use of Water, with the help of which many people are getting opportunities to earn money for livelihood.
Objectives of Gram Uday Se Bharat Uday Abhiyan:
This program will be executed jointly by the Ministries of Agriculture, Rural Development, Information and Broadcasting, Labour, Social Justice along with the states. This campaign will focus on the following major objectives:
- Strengthen the Panchayati Raj in the villages
- Increase social harmony among people in the rural areas
- Promote farmer’s welfare and livelihood of people
- Support development work in the rural areas of the villages
- Execute Panchayat Level and National Level Programs across the country
‘Gram Uday Se Bharat Uday Abhiyan’ is a nation wide movement to enhance Panchayati Raj, farmer welfare & rural dev. pic.twitter.com/W1KIhu9J0Q
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) April 14, 2016
List of Panchayat Level Programmes:
- Social Harmony Programme: This “Social Harmony Programme” will be conducted from 14th April to 16th April 2016 in all Gram Panchayats in order to strengthen the social harmony among villagers. This campaign will be supported by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment and Panchayati Raj in the honor of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar. Along with this, information of various government schemes will also be provided to the people living in the villages and views about national unity and Dr. Ambedkar literature will be discussed among people. To support these programmes, exhibitions and events will be organized.
- Gram Kisan Sabha: This “Village Farmer Assemblies” will be organized from 17th to 20th April 2016. During this, information and suggestions will be provided to the farmers regarding improvement in the agriculture sectors. For this, meetings will be organized so that farmers can get valuable knowledge regarding modern farming techniques and government schemes like Fasal Bima Yojana, Social Health Card etc. The suggestions of the farmers on improving agriculture modes will be invited and discussed among people.
- Tribal Women Gram Panchayat Presidents Meeting: This national meeting will be held on 19th April 2016, where Gram Panchayat Presidents from fifth schedule areas of ten states will discuss on several plans like tribal and village development.
- Gram Sabha or Village Assembly: Gram Sabhas will be conducted from 21th to 24th April 2016, by every Gram Panchayat across the country. During this, Prabhat Pheri, Cultural Programmes, Sports Competition, and Clean Drinking Water and Sanitation Campaign will be organized.
The topics of discussion in these events will include:
- Clean drinking water and Sanitation
- Optimum Utilization of funds available with Panchayati Raj Institutions
- Role of women in the villages and Rural Development
- Gram Panchayat Development Plans for the Local Economic Development
- Social inclusion, including the welfare of SC, ST, person with physical disabilities and other marginalized categories
- Providing Information about the Socio-economic Development in the rural areas
- Panchayti Raj Day : This day will be celebrated on 24th April 2016 at Jamshedpur. The Selected Panchayat Representatives, Central Govt. Officers and State Government Officers from all over the nation will attend this meeting. PM Modi will address the public meeting on this day and the message will be live streamed on Radio and TV to all the villages in the country. Villagers will gather together to take oath for the development of the rural areas and country.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) April 24, 2015
PM Modi also paid tribute to the architect of India’s constitution, Babasaheb Ambedkar at his birthplace. He mentioned the initiatives that have been undertaken by the Union Government for the development in the villages like 18000 villages where there was no electricity, are being electrified with a deadline of 1000 days. Moreover, he also mentioned about the “GARV” Mobile Application through which the progress towards this goal will be seen by the people and they will come to know about the advanced digital information sources. This will also bring transparency in the schemes and programmes launched by the Indian Government and build up the trust on the development system of the country.
Shri Narendra Modi also explained the objectives of increasing the farmers’ income for which the purchasing power of the rural people has to be raised in order to upgrade the nation’s economy. He laid stress on the sustainable development which could be possible only with the development of the villages across the nation. Along with this, Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh Shri Shivraj Singh Chouhan also promised that the MP government will take the initiatives for implementing the development plans and programmes across various rural areas.
PM Modi also discussed the benefits of Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana, Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana. He emphasized on the use of digital technology, sustainable development and advanced connectives. He also distributed certificates of Mukhyamantri Yuva Udyami Vikas Yojna to the Scheduled Castes and ST Beneficiaries.
Contributor: Sunpreet Kaur